Thursday, March 6, 2008

Preparing for a bike race. What not to do.

Checklist of things that are not a good idea in preparation for a bicycle race.
  • Barely eat anything the day before, and drinking just enough water to get by.
  • Ride close to 300 miles in the week leading up to the event.
  • Join a social bike ride with your friends to the Rocky Horror Picture Show the night before.
  • Make repairs to your front derailer at 4:30 in the morning after finally getting home.
  • Waking up late with no real sleep having been accomplished, skipping breakfast, and arriving at the race with no time to warm up and just enough time to pin the race number on the jersey.
I really know better, but I was having a great weekend, and races in Cat V don't count for much yet. In any case, I didn't do completely terrible, with the unofficial result being 22nd in a field of 50 riders. I went hard for one lap to try for a prime, pulling into the lead, but started burning out and couldn't maintain it, finishing the lap in 4th, then dropping back on the following lap.


It was nice having a fan club of two this time. My girlfriend came with again, and my Mom was able to make it out this time.  


I'll prepare my self much better on the next one (This one is going to be on home turf too. I'll be biking to the starting line.)

No comments: