Monday, January 19, 2009

Thank God It's Over, End Of The Bush Era

I could spout off for hours on the criminal actions and horrific policies of the Bush Administration, but that is not what this blog is about. I will say that I'm so very glad that today is the last day of what has been probably the worst presidency in modern history. Obama taking office is not a guarantee for substantial change, he can only push in the changes this country needs if the voices of the people that helped carry him into office don't go quite as soon as their new leader takes the helm. As FDR said to those who wanted him to act on their behalf, "I agree with you, I want to do it, now make me do it". We need to be the change we want to see in the world, and make Obama do it. For me, riding a bike for transit is one part of that, but it's going to take more then just hopping on a bike if we really want to change the world for the better.

In my early awakening of political mindedness in high school I made the piece of art accompanying this post. It was part of my Scholastic Award winning portfolio that displayed in DC. The piece was made well before Bush was sort of elected, but by the time of the award ceremony and the exhibition, it was ironically Laura Bush broadcast from the White House who congratulated all the students. I didn't have the right to vote yet in the 2000 election, but I was very afraid of what a Bush presidency would be like. My fears were proven right unfortunately. I hope we can undo the wrongs of the past 8 years and move forward, but it will take actions by all of us to keep the pressure for change going. It will mean writing letters to our leaders, protesting wrong actions, leading by example, and what ever means available to make change more then a slogan. And here's hoping the incoming cycling president is better then the last.

No comments: