Monday, August 16, 2010

Follow Up On The Bike Summit Hosted By Los Angeles Mayor Villaraigosa

Villarigosa's Bike Summit At Metro Headquarters

I don't have time for a full write up with analysis and my thoughts on everything that was discussed just yet, but I wanted to say a few things and put my photos up. First of all I want to thank Villaraigosa for making this meeting happen. As I had mentioned it was only a year ago I wrote a fake press event about the Los Angeles mayor taking cycling issues seriously as an April fools joke. Apparently Villragosa himself thought it was pretty funny because after I mentioned it during my 1 minute public speaking time, he followed up after the meeting to check it out.

Villarigosa's twitter feed.

I'd like to thank everyone who took time out of their schedule to attend, I think it sent a strong message that in spite of an inconvenient time for most people, we filled the room with cyclists. Finally I'd also like to thank Sgt. David Krumer of the LAPD, who came up to me personally, having never met previously, to inform me the case my wife Meghan had against an aggressive MTA bus driver, that had been dormant, was reopened and being investigated. He recognized after my public comment the last name and guessed correctly Meghan and I were married. It left an impression, and I can see why many activists who have been involved with recent reform efforts within the LAPD have held Sgt. Krumer in such high regard.

I'll write some more about the event this week, in the meantime, the pictures are below.

No comments: